Treatment of your meibomian gland dysfunction will help to restore all of the layers of the tear film to a normal healthy state.
E-Eye (IRPL) Treatment
At Eye Clinic London, we are excited to announce the E-Eye. The E-Eye is a revolutionary device for the treatment of dry eyes due to blepharitis/meibomian gland dysfunction (MGD). We are the very first ophthalmologist led clinic to offer this treatment it in London.
The E-Eye uses intense regulated pulsed light, or IRPL, which has been designed precisely for treating dry eyes caused by MGD. It is the first and only medical device in the world to do this.
The E-Eye device creates polychromatic pulse light using the new IRPL (intense regulated pulsed light) technology.
The E-Eye releases a flash of light that is made up of a pulse train, which we flash on the treatment area (cheekbone and temple area around the eye). Nerve branches are within this treatment area. These nerve branches connect to meibomian gland nerves. When we flash these nerve branches with the E-Eye (IRPL), it causes a stimulatory response within the meibomian glands. The glands resume secretion of the healthy oil layer again, and symptoms of eye dryness will disappear.
Accordingly, it is effective in 80% of patients affected by dry eye disease.
From a single flash of IRPL, it is possible to produce sub-flashes of varying intensities. That offers unparalleled therapeutic potentials, especially with the treatment of MGD, which is impossible with conventional IPL.
The E-Eye emits a ‘cold light’, and it is non-invasive, totally painless and entirely harmless to the eyeball.
The E-Eye is useful in all cases of dry eye disease that is related to MGD.
The length of the treatment’s efficacy increases with the number of procedures completed. Sufficient for one week after the first treatment, 2-3 weeks after the second treatment and six months to more than two years after the third or fourth treatment. We can genuinely say it is a long term relief of MGD.
Here are a few facts directly from the makers of the E-Eye device:
- No. 1 dry eye solution to treat Meibomian Gland Dysfunction (MGD).
- In 2015, over 35,000 patients were treated with the E-Eye worldwide
- 84% efficiency from the first session
- + 86% satisfaction rate, proven capability on mild, medium and severe dry eye
- Three clinical studies conducted on over 300 people
- Up to 18-month relief for the patient
- More than 100% increase in the break-up time
- 100% satisfaction amongst users
Eye Clinic London is also one of the few practices in the world to give special attention to dry eye disease with MiBoThermoflo.
With the MiBoThermoflo device, we apply continuous controlled heat to the outer skin of the eyelids along with ultrasound gel for a gentle massage. The heat is absorbed deep into the tissue and breaks down the hardened oils in the meibomian glands.
With a specific prescribed therapy regimen, the ducts of the meibomian glands will secrete thinner and clearer oils which will allow for a healthier tear film.
Benefits of the treatment include:
- No pian
- No downtime
- No side effects
- Very relaxing
- Wonderful for eye strain
- Great therapeutic massage with lasting benefits
- 98% patient satisfaction
- Most patients feel immediate relief after the first treatment
Dry eye lifestyle advice
Taking a high dose of Omega-3 oils (such as fish oil) helps MGD and other dry eye conditions significantly. There are two essential benefits. The essential fatty acids in Omega-3 capsules are crucial in producing potent anti-inflammatory prostaglandins. This anti-inflammatory effect reduces the inflammation that occurs in blepharitis and other dry eye conditions. The high dose of Omega-3 fatty acids also improves the health of the oil secreted by the meibomian glands. That leads to a healthier and more effective tear film and more comfortable eyes.
High doses of Omega-3 fatty acids are required to achieve a significant improvement in MGD and dry eye. General pharmacy bought fish oil capsules are rarely potent enough to help dry eye. Dr Cronin will suggest an appropriate brand and dose depending on the severity of your condition.
Dry eyes make eyes dryer
When your eyes are dry, the tears become too salty. This high salt concentration can damage some of the cells that help to produce tears, thus making your eyes drier. It is important to use lubricating drops to reduce the salt concentration and break this cycle. Your eyes need a chance to recover and return to a healthy, comfortable state.
Drink more water
Remember that if you are dehydrated, your eyes will be as well. So make sure you drink plenty of water and avoid excessive tea and coffee.
Control your environment
The environment around you plays a significant role in dry eye treatment. Wind, fans, cold air-conditioning and warm heating all have a drying effect, which means that you will have excessive evaporation of your tears.
Increasing the relative humidity and protecting your eyes from the direct flow of air will reduce the drying of your tears.
Follow these simple steps:
- Wear glasses or wraparound sunglasses when outside in the breeze, this will stop the wind blowing directly into your eyes. If you need spectacles, choose frames with thicker arms to “enclose” your eyes more and protect them from the wind.
- Ensure you are not near a fan or air-conditioning vent. The ‘gentle’ flow of air from heating or cooling systems are not gentle on your eyes – it can be very drying. Create a barrier between your eyes and the flow of air by moving your chair or desk. That is also important in your sleep, as many people with dry eyes sleep with their eyes very slightly open.
- Go green! Consider using plants to raise the humidity in your work area. Plants not only form an excellent barrier to stop the direct flow of dry air-conditioning air into your eyes, but they also raise the local humidity. Pick water-loving plants with big leaves as they will release more moisture into the atmosphere than a cactus!
- Make an oasis. Florists use a product called ‘oasis’ or floral foam in flower arrangements. It is excellent for creating a large surface area for water to evaporate and raise the local humidity. Put some oasis into a bowl of water with most of the oasis sitting out of the water. That will cause the water to evaporate and raise the humidity. You can still put real or artificial flowers in the foam to make it look appealing.
- Avoid smoking and smoky environments.